Last Friday (21 May) saw the second ‘Hyndburn Education Summit’ at the North Lancs Training Group Vocational Centre of Excellence, in Accrington. Headteachers were invited to hear about engagement with employers in the borough and raising aspirations for the next generation, meeting the needs of employers and tailoring education.
The packed schedule, at the first face to face, Covid-safe #AmazingAccrington meeting for over a year, saw speakers including:
- Murray Dawson, Chair #AmazingAccrington Business Leaders Group & Managing Director of Scott Dawson Advertising
- Sara Britcliffe, MP for Hyndburn and Haslingden
- Dr Sakthi Karunanithi MBBS M.D. MPH FFPH, Director of Public Health, Lancashire County Council – discussing the importance of wellbeing post-Covid
- Gareth Lindsay, Managing Director, North Lancs Training Group, discussing future proofing the skills in the area
- Amanda Melton CBE, Principal, Accrington & Rossendale College and Nelson & Colne College
- Collette King, HR Director, Studio – Hyndburn’s highly successful and largest business employing over 2,400
- Tony Grimshaw OBE, Director of What More UK – who discussed the manufacturing and export markets
- Heath Groves, Chief Executive Officer, Sundown Solutions – who discussed how the opportunity for high tech jobs of the future starts at primary schools.
Sara Britcliffe, MP for Hyndburn and Haslingden, commented: “It’s so important that we make sure our local employers put out the opportunities that they are giving to our young people across Hyndburn. I’m really looking forward to seeing what happens in the future, from today’s event.”
Dr Sakthi, Director of Public Health for Lancashire County Council, added “It’s been a great day, discussing our future with the local education leaders and business leaders, and I’m really pleased to have been part of it. I’m looking forward to working with this community going forward.”
Tony Grimshaw OBE, Director of What More UK, commented, “It’s been a great afternoon, and seeing head teachers and heads of carrers in schools so interested in what we have to say. It’s so important to the kids that they have a signpost to what they want to do after school. It’s also important that we keep the kids in Accrington!”
Gareth Lindsay, Managing Director, North Lancs Training Group, said, “It was fantastic to host this important event here at North Lancs Training Group. We are always looking for solutions to provide the best outcomes for our young people, and everyone in the room is working together to make that happen.”
You can see more on opportunities for young people on the purpose built area of the #AmazingAccrington website here: opportunities.amazingaccrington.co.uk
You can read more about NLTG here: www.nltg.co.uk